Sunday, November 23, 2014

Secondary Theme Ideas

Since it is currently November and I won't be able to plant the peppers for this project for at least 3-5 more months, I am mulling over all the different looks I want to accomplish with this project, and seeing which ones will work out best.  The primary theme is obviously the skull, but its going to be lazy to just leave it at that.

So far, my current ideas for secondary themes are:

1) Forest/Jungle
Get some interesting looking driftwood that will compliment the shapes nicely, paint/stain as necessary to get rid of the gray driftwood color and bring it back to more of a fallen log look.  Possibly brush on some white glue and model train flocking for moss/lichen to give the wood a nice old appearance.  Use actual organic soil and let it grow actual moss, toss in some small frond ferns.  Possibly a fake snake curling around the side.  Make it look like this skull is laying on the forest floor out in the wild.

2) Desert
Go with a more traditional inorganic bonsai soil covered in a layer of sand, put a few succulents around to give it a cactus look, make it look like this is a bleached skull laying out in the desert.  I'm thinking big shiny black (replica) scorpion and some desert stones for the main accents.

3) Library
Ever seen the classic gothic horror library where there's a pile of books with a skull on top, with a half melted candle dripping wax down everything?  I could replicate that with the bonchi being the candle, the roots being the melted wax, and then do several stacked "books" that are hollowed out to be the container.

Tertiary Ideas:

1) I can solder and wire up LEDs to place strategically around things.  If I went for the Library secondary theme, I could get tea lamp sconces and those small fake flame LED tea lights to go in them.  Possibly a full sized flicker LED candle depending on how it goes.  Or the Forest theme might go well with some twinkling LEDs placed up in the branches like fairies/fireflies.

2) I also have a cold mist unit.  Get a large enough container that I can incorporate a bowl of water in which to place the mister, and when turned on a ground hugging white fog like mist could roll out over everything.  That would go well in the Forest theme, or for the Library theme perhaps I can seal up the inside of the skull so that the fog would roll out of the eyes or mouth.

Or I could combine cold mist and LEDs.  Who knows, I may have eyes bigger than my mouth at the moment, but the way I see it better to aim high and still have something cool if I fall short than aim too low and waste potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment