Monday, February 23, 2015

That Was Fast...

I don't know if the baggie method was just an utter failure for me the first time around, or if I was just impatient then and too busy to obsess over my seeds now, but...


...the results speak for themselves.  Got a whole tray full of Reapers sprouting!


And on a (slightly blurry) side note, as the smaller roots have been dying back on the Buddha bonchi, I've noticed that it's grip has been getting looser as well.  To help make sure the roots keep a firm grip, I've tied them down with some broad silver ribbon.  I was going to use my hemp twine, but it seems to have gotten up and left without me sometime since the last time I used it.  But, ribbon works just as well.  Its nice and broad so it doesn't create any pinch points, it flexes well, and it will be easy to remove in the future.  Basic idea here is just to pull the roots in close while they are still thin and supple, then later on as they get older and thicker they'll lock into this position permanently.

Then later on if need be, I can encourage it to grow new roots by scraping down to the cambium layer and putting some moist soil on it.  That isn't 100% guaranteed, but you can usually get some results out of it.

Now, I'm off to interrogate a potential twine thief...


No comments:

Post a Comment