Friday, April 1, 2016

Long Time No See

Hey everyone, long time no update but thats been mostly due to there being nothing to update about.  Aphids continued to be a problem after I brought a different plant in during a hard freeze that re-infected everybody.  Didn't feel like chopping it back again, so just been constantly treating them with neem.  Figured it was close enough to spring that I could just wait it out and let the ladybugs do the job for me when the weather warmed up.



As you can see, the Project Reaper overwintered just fine, despite the constant battle with the aphids, and has lots of nice green foliage and is raring to go.  We still are getting nights where its dipping down into the 30's (thats roughly the 1-5 degree Celsius range for our metric readers), so for now everybody just gets to sit on the covered front porch hardening off where I can bring them back in when I need to.

Remember, when you've overwintered, the foliage on your plants is weak.  You can't just set it back outside in the sun or you'll sunburn them, and possibly kill them.  A week or two of morning sun, wind, and cooler night time temperatures will help toughen them up so that when it starts staying warm all the time they can be put back out permanently.


Not really a must have shot, but I do like the morning light, it makes the skull look really cool. :)

Other sprouts are doing well.  Some sweet peppers, a couple more reapers to give away (remember I overwintered the best producer from last season as well as the project reaper, so I don't need any fresh ones this year for myself), some new tea plants sprouted from seeds produced by my established tea bushes (those things are notoriously difficult to germinate, I'm happy), and I'm going to try growing a banana plant this year (thats it in the second picture, small black container above the dragonfruit cutting).  Not really relevant to the blog, but don't be surprised if you see them start sneaking into the backgrounds of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment