Monday, August 3, 2015

The B Team

Hasn't rained in a while, long enough that I've used up my rain water storage and even the big raised bed reapers are looking wilty, so I broke out the hose to water everybody.  Figured while I had the big guns out, I'd blast some dirt away from the tops of the production pepper roots to see how they were looking, and I gotta admit I'm a little impressed with two of them.


Thats the zombie reaper, which I cannot get a good picture of to save my life.  Its just very unphotogenic, but looks good in person.  I gave it a good blast and went under the bottom of it.  This could end up making a really interesting Neagari style bonsai (where the freestanding roots are up above the soil).

But the surprise breakout today is...


The second best pod shape reaper.  It doesn't have that neat self twisting trunk, but just look at what I found after giving it a pressure washing.  Build that up right and it'll make for a very nice nebari.  Get some good bonsaid clay mud up in there in so that the roots look like they're tracing a hilltop, could be quite nice.  Might end up keeping both of these!



And since I can't leave well enough alone, I've been doing some more root pruning to the main Reaper.  I have to say that normally I would be doing a pulldown on it right now, but it was just last week that I repositioned some of the smaller roots on here, and I want to give it at least another week to make sure those roots get re-established before I go mucking around with them again.  If I get in a hurry there, those roots I so carefully placed will likely die off, meaning I've lost not only time and effort but aesthetics as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment