Sunday, July 26, 2015

Incremental Improvements

Spent a little time cleaning up the roots on the main Reaper.  Mostly I just removed a lot of the small dried up roots, but I also trimmed a few small ones that were going the same direction as a bigger ones (no need to double up on those) and re-positioned some into more interesting places.




We are finally starting to get some idea of what the finished bonchi will look like now, or at least what the roots will look like.  There was a very nicely twisted and convoluted root coming from the eye socket on the right (skull's left) that was going across the face over to the left (skull's right) that I re-positioned to curl up inside the nasal cavity and down through the teeth.  I accidentally broke the root a little shorter than I wanted, but it still had enough root below the soil line that I think it should retake.  I hope so at least, because roots twisting down through the teeth would look incredible, which is why I chanced it.

There's still more roots on the left (skull right, bottom picture) than I really want, but I don't want to start trimming any of them right now.  I can't see yet how they are wrapping and developing underneath, and I don't want to risk snipping the perfect root now just because I couldn't get a clear picture of where it was going.  So, going to leave all of that there for the time being.

Also kind of want to cut that one root thats going straight down and flexing out from the front of the face, but like the side ones, it might be doing something interesting on the lower jaw or otherwise making an interesting shape.  Its definitely on my "keep an eye on it, and prune it if it doesn't put out" list though.


The Laughing Buddha Peter Pepper is looking good.  Been letting it set as many pods as it wanted while keeping the main canopy trimmed into a basic shape (it keeps wanting to put up a leader on the right).  I think the pot ended up being a very nice compliment to the plant, and by end of the year it should be done.


Oh, and yes, the other Reapers are putting out tons of pods, and the main bulk has started turning red.  Already got some early ripeners from the best shaped pods/plant for seed, but whoo boy, gonna be able to make lots of Reaper flakes!  Thats just one plant...

No comments:

Post a Comment