Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Root Pruning

Its been long enough for the Laughing Buddha bonchi to have dried up it's unneeded roots as much as it likely will, so I went in and did some root pruning.  The results are looking pretty good.





I'm a little concerned with those thin ones on the back.  It looks like they are dry and dead, but when I gave them a tug they seemed to be firmly in place.  I'd like for that to be a big fat solid root like the others, but the plant has other ideas it seems.  So, I'll leave them alone for now and see if they fatten up later or not.  If it turns out those roots have dried up, I know a few tricks to try and get them to regrow that we can try.



I've also uprooted the Halloween pepper that I had in the pumpkin pot over the skull to put it back in a regular pot for the time being.  Its a little hard to tell in the pictures, but it is noticeably smaller than it's two sister plants.  I've had a harder time keeping it happy water wise (which was expected), but it overall has not been thriving, so back in a normal pot it goes until it gets bigger and we can try it again.

The good news there though was that I actually had some difficulty in pulling it off the skull, so it appears to have been bonding quite nicely to it.  Thats very encouraging for later on.

---

On a non-pepper related note, I've also started some Moringa Oleifera seeds.  Supposed to be fast growing, very healthy edible trees.  I may end up making a sub-page for edible bonsai in general to put that on, but this blog is about peppers and bonchi relating to my final attempt at the Reaper bonchi, so I won't clutter the main blog up with regular old tree details.

No comments:

Post a Comment