Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Death is in the House!


Death makes a house call!

Okay, the AeroGrow thing was a waste of money, it couldn't do jack.  My homemade one that I threw together for less than half as much in parts?  Well, I'll let results speak for themselves.


That is one genuine (I hope) Carolina Reaper.  Checked the other slots, and all of them had germinated.


So, since I've got 4 sprouts now, I've gone 4 different ways with them.


For the first one, I put sponge and all into some potting soil, watered well, then covered the top with dry potting soil.


 One of the others I transplanted into a small starter cell still attached to a piece of sponge, but not the entire thing.  Another I removed from the sponge entirely and put into soil.  The third I am leaving in the bubbler to see how it does with hydroponics.  I figure I'll see which ones do the best, and which ones do more poorly, and use that information in the future for raising young nuclears.

Since they've all germinated, I've taken the heating fan out from under the cabinet (they need high temperatures to germinate, but will grow just fine at room temperature), and turned on the overhead PC fans.

Had some trouble with my fancy digital power strip, so I've replaced it with something better in the long run anyway.  Two mechanical timers.  That lets me have the lights on a 16/8 hour cycle, and the fans and bubbler on a 30/30 minute cycle.  Lights are on from 8 am till midnight, while the aerator for the bubbler and the PC fans are alternating on and off every 30 minutes.

Everything is officially at full power go time mode!

No comments:

Post a Comment