Saturday, January 3, 2015

Its... ALIVE!!!!

Woo, big day today, the grow cabinet is complete!

Wall wart came in yesterday, so I got to work on it last night.


Turned out to be a good design for the wart.  After I took the jack off, I had a pleasant surprise of properly color coded wires inside.  Trust me, more often than I care for you'll cut one of these things open and there will be two black wires inside.  Like, really?  Anyway, this made the job easy.


Twist the exposed wires together, solder, and wrap it all up in multiple layers of electrician's tape (each wire individually, then again for both to hold everything in place.  I now have my PC case fan converted to a wall plug.



On a side note, I discovered that these fans are actually 12v fans, not 6v like the package said.  No biggie though, just means I order another wall wart and do it again and get more control over if I want one fan running at a time or two.  Lesson learned though, read the fine print on the fan itself, not the packaging.


Covered the inside with the emergency blankets (took 2 blankets almost exactly).


And went ahead and upgraded the lighting to 4 CFLs, two on each side with these 89 cent Y adapters.  Its a big cabinet, I thought it safer to err on the side of overkill than have insufficient lighting.



Bam, I have a grow cabinet for my peppers!  And it all turns on and off with the press of a switch (and I can set it over to timer mode so that it can just turn on at 7 am and off at 10 pm on it's own, or whatever other times I want).

Lets see if this video works or not...

---

On a side note, while I was at Walmart picking up a few things, I saw that they are selling small hydroponic sets, so I picked one up.


Since there were 3 slots for growing and I had 3 extra reaper seeds still left in the baggy, I transferred them over to this setup.  Dunno how well it'll work, but thats what makes it fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment