Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Madman With a Magic Box

Weather mostly cooperated with me today.  Wasn't as warm as it was supposed to be, but oh well.  Had to get this done, because its just going to get colder and wetter from here on out.

Principle woodwork on the cabinet is finished.



And as you can see, I have the sockets cut for my lights and my CPU fans.  Everything test fits in just fine.


The doors (which I just have propped against the cabinet here) had a few issues.  Mainly I thought I could get away with using fewer screws.  I couldn't.  Instead of re-positioning the screws and leaving holes, or cutting new supports (from wood I didn't have), I just said screw it, there will be some funky screw placement.  Only downside is that the hinges I bought to attach the doors with are laughably inadequate.  I need to buy much bigger, much stronger hinges next time I go out.

Seeing as how all the places that sell good hinges are in major shopping districts, however, that may have to wait until after Christmas.

Went and dug through my old spare paint to find an exterior paint to put a couple of coats on with.  Was going to just slap whatever color I found on there and then spray paint it something better as a top coat, but the can I opened happened to be...


...Tardis blue (even if it doesn't quite look it in this lighting).  Now I'm torn between if I want to follow the original plan and paint the outside something less fanboyish (inside doesn't matter, its just coated for a vapor barrier, its all getting covered in something more reflective later), or just embrace it and paint the entire thing up like the Tardis.

Either way, tomorrow after the paint is good and dry I'll disassemble it (which is why everything has those reinforcing bars on the outside, so the top/back/sides can be taken apart into slabs to make moving it into the house by myself possible), just in time for the forecast rain for the next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment