Sunday, December 7, 2014

Next Steps

While I wait for that seed to sprout and my brass nameplate to be engraved, I think I've decided that I want to make a full on grow box for it.  And if what I did for the container hasn't tipped you off yet, I tend to go big when it comes to projects.  The real trick will be getting all the materials for the build without making the cops think I'm trying to grow weed!

"No officer, I swear I'm not growing pot, I'm trying to grow a the world's hottest pepper!  In the middle of the winter!  For the internet!"

Anyway, I've got a decent quality LED grow light coming in from China, a 9w red/blue mixture deal, but I'm not 100% convinced that its going to be enough.  So, I'm planning on adding sockets for two CFLs as well.  Put all that in an enclosed box lined with aluminum foil for reflection, and I'm thinking that should be enough to get the job done.

If I use pegs, I can have a fixed top and then raise/lower the floor of the box to keep the plant as close to the lights as possible without burning it as it grows.  Then the only thing that would be left is to grab a CPU fan or two and rig them up to run off a wall wart.  I rig those to run off of battery packs all the time, so rigging one to a wall adapter should be a piece of cake.

In fact, I'm bored and there's nothing good on TV, I think I'll run out to a hardware store and pick up a few pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment