Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Jumping the Gun

Okay, its currently raining outside, which is bad for getting the container sealed (high humidity tends to make clear coats fog), but the rain is coming with nice warm temperatures (its going to hit 70 today, in December!) so I've put my overwintering plants back outside for some fresh air and filtered sun.

I've also gone a little crazy and started just one of my Reaper seeds.


That little container I actually got from when I ordered some giant redwood seeds (my redwoods are now about 6 feet tall), and its an awesome little mini-terrarium.  Went ahead and put in some soil, one Reaper seed, some rain water (thats easy to come by today!) and turned on my seed heating mat.

Normally I don't try to start seeds until around February because I like to start lots of them and I just don't have the lighting setup for dozens of plants at a time.  But just one I can do, and it'll be something to keep the blog interesting for the next couple of months instead of hitting a "Well the pot is made, see y'all in the spring!" dry spell.

So, now taking bets on how if this one will make it all the way through to be "the one", or if something happens to it and I have to rely on the other 9 seeds in my pack come spring.

Additionally, I realized I have pork ribs in the fridge.  I've been just tossing the bones out to the neighbor's dog, but if I clean them and set them out to dry thoroughly, I can use them in my display.


Just got the two at the moment, but should be able to get some more usable ones out of the rest of the leftovers.  I'm picturing two on either side of the skull poking up like a partial rib cage.  I'm making sure to put them on the heating pad here in a room with plenty of airflow to dry them out as much as possible.  I think it'll be neat to have some actual bone in the display to accent the fake skull.

No comments:

Post a Comment