Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Which End is the Front?

Playing around with the skull and the container now that I have it more or less finalized, and I realized something.  I've just been assuming one side was the "front".  Namely, this one:

Red arrow added for orientation purposes.

But then I started looking at it from other angles, and saw some interesting possibilities.


This one has been rotated 90 degrees clockwise, and its got an interesting combination of the higher built ridge (that forms a back collar in the original front assumption) being on the right, and the small jutting section being sent out towards the viewer.  Now, the build up on the right is interesting not only because it looks neat, but because I think I've about talked myself into trying the eye socket position for the plant, which would be on the left.  The higher bank on the right would help counterbalance the plant on the left.


Flip it around the other way, and the view isn't as dynamic, but it reads more like sitting on a log due to the grain in the jutting section that is now on the right, and there's something to be said for a skull sitting on a half rotten log.

But really, I think the choices are between the first two options, what I'm going to refer to for now as Portrait mode and Landscape mode.  Portrait mode is how I built it, with the back being higher than the front so that there's a lot of depth to it.  It clearly has a foreground, a midground, and a background.  Landscape mode though shows off more detail in the driftwood, and has a more dynamic foreground and midground, but no background at all.  But then, do we need a background?

I'm really thinking #2 may be the new front of this thing.  What do you think?  What makes a better bonsai display, portrait or landscape? Or the hidden third option which is half way in between the two, like I used for the blog header image?  Only problem there is that while it looks good in the picture, it feels kind of clunky in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment